Picture

Picture
0

A Look at Google Wave

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

I just finished watching the demo of Google Wave that was presented at Google I/O back in May.  Google Wave is a communication and collaboration tool that works in your web browser.  It’s planned to be released later this year.

2216465474_7be92544e2 

In the simplest of terms, Google Wave is about merging the various communication tools into one tool that maximizes communication and collaboration. 

  • Convergence of email and instant messaging.
  • Threaded messages, beyond what you find in today’s message board and group forums.
  • Real-time updates (literally to the nanosecond!).
  • Capabilities to use it in conjunction with social media sites.
  • And so many more possibilities to come, I’m sure.

The demo is 1 hour and 20 minutes long.  Most everyone will be interested in the first hour’s worth of content, while developers will want to stick around until the end.  I encourage you to view the demo, as it’s pretty difficult to explain how Wave works in a short blog post.  Plus, it really just helps to see it.  I had read other articles about it and thought I had a pretty good idea about how it worked.  But when I saw the demo, I was surprised at the tool’s capability, above and beyond my initial thoughts formed by reading other material.  It’s worth the look, plus they’re kind of entertaining.

I’d love to hear your reactions to Google Wave.  Do you have any ideas about how you could implement it in your organization?  Do you think it’s just another wave (no pun intended) that will be big for awhile and then fade away?  Drop me a line!

Photo Credit:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/23209605@N00/ / CC BY-SA 2.0

0 Responses to "A Look at Google Wave"

  © Copyright 2008~2009. All rights reserved.

  © Blogger template 'Minimalist E' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

  © Header image credit: adapted from Chor Ip.

Back to TOP